June 28, 2010

Day 65: The Nerdy Side of Pregnancy

If the past five weeks have taught me anything, it's that things have changed. Dramatically. And I can't imagine they'll ever be the same (I'm fine with this by the way). But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that un-pregnant people need to be warned. Preconceived notions need to be realit-ized. Is that a word? Probably not. Maybe it is now?

Either way, here was my preconceived notion: As soon as you find out you're pregnant, you have 9 fairly easy months to mentally prepare yourself for a life change.

Here's my realit-ized notion: As soon as you find out you're pregnant, you have 9 insane, sleep-deprived months of hard labor and nausea that physically and mentally prepare you both for a ridiculously massive life change.

Side note: I readily admit the I'm only 9 weeks into this, and that my "realit-ized" notion may indeed still be a preconceived notion to some extent.


Aaaanyways, I think it's about time we realit-ized everyone who hasn't already realit-ized themself. Yes, that's the last time I'll say that word.

If you know me, you know I love two things:
1) Ice Cream
2) Nerdery

For now, let's focus on #2. Actually... [I just took a break to eat #1] Delicious. Where was I? Ah yes, nerdifying the face off of this blog. I decided that the best way to truly understand just how pregnancy changes your life would be in chart form. So, without further ado, I present the...


I think we'll revisit this maybe every 10 weeks or so to see if anything has changed. If you want my hypothesis [pushing glasses up nose], I'm fully expecting sleep to gradually normalize starting at 12 weeks, and spike again around 30 weeks. I'm not sure my housework can get any higher than it currently is, but that remains to be seen (you can pray for this if you feel led). And as far as impromptu dancing is concerned, I'm afraid the descent has just begun. It's just so sad.

But like I've always said*, if marriage is like the earth, then pregnancy is a relentless, 20-year earthquake. If you've built a good foundation, you grab what's important to you, curl up in the fetal position under a doorway, and hold on for dear life.


*I've never said this.

4 comments:

  1. I can't figure out if you (stewart) were ghost writing for Gil or if you continue to say that "you" are pregnant when, in fact, your wife is pregnant. I am confused, or you are mentally confused :)

    By the way, why no milkshakes???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Milkshakes are, unfortunately, not on Gill's list of cravings right now. They've been replaced with snow cones. I love both, so either way works for me.

    And I combed through that last post and couldn't find an instance where I claimed to be pregnant. Maybe you're the one who's mentally confused?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stew... I'm going to need more frequent posting. You draw me into this blog and then decide to go a whole 5 days without posting?? Unacceptable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I know, I'm disappointed in myself. I've been pouring all my spare time into a design project for Westside Pregnancy Clinic. But you're right - I'll post today. No excuses.

    ReplyDelete